Tuesday 23 September 2014

Stealth Cosplay

Greetings all.

Welcome to the second instalment of my Cosplay page (try saying that 7 times fast & feel like a failure... or way superior to me.  Either way).  Today's blog is about stealth cosplay.  Not sure if that is actually a legitimate term or not, it's just one that I tend to use.

It's pretty self explanatory. You dress up as your favourite cosplay, stalk a person of your choice, and until you can successfully sneak up on them and scare them half to death.

Yep.  That's the aim.

Ok, that's a lie.  Stealth cosplay is basically sneaking a little bit of cosplay into an otherwise ordinary outfit.  For example, my fabulous friend Fabby (not just fabulous because of that alliteration opportunity) has some gorgeous snowflake pins to put in her hair when she braids it like Elsa from Frozen.  It's simple yet effective cosplaying.

Big cosplays are awesome, and I know a lot of time and money goes into them, but that's half the reason I love stealth cosplay so much.  Conventions are usually over a few days, and it's hard enough coming up with one complete cosplay, never mind 3 days' worth of them!  You can feel included in the cosplay community with your stealthy cosplay, without breaking the bank or your hands.  Also, it is super awesome when someone picks up on your subtle nod to your favourite character.  You know they are your people.  Ah, acceptance.

Another wonderful thing about stealth cosplay is the fact that it doesn't have to be limited to a convention.  I couldn't go to work dressed as Yoko from Gurren Lagann (my first ever full cosplay):

Yes, my gun was as big as hers... as was the underboob.

However, I could turn up with her badge in my hair, or wearing the snood I made.  It's subtle enough to get away with in the "real world", but nerdy enough to make me feel more comfortable in my "professional attire".  That's why I've decided to start my Etsy shop with little accessories:



The Joker themed one's especially, as they look like your average little coin purse, until you open them up.  It's more about the colour scheme, and each one will have some embroidery hinting to the character it's based on (I say hinting; more like hitting you in the face with a mallet of knowledge).

This mallet of knowledge.

So, yes.  Stealth cosplay is a wonderful thing, and more people should try it.  This will make it easier to identify those who will survive the apocalypse.  Or at least those willing to put up with my constant references to the apocalypse I wish was coming.

So why not post on here any stealth cosplay's you've done in the past, or ideas for future cosplays.  Or even requests for stealth cosplay ideas/items.  I'd love to hear what people have to say about stealth cosplay as it should "totes" become a way to communicate your secret geeky side to other hidden geeks.

Live long and prosper ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment